Marshalls Funeral Home History
Marshall Funeral Home Inc. has been a part of the local community since 1905, when David M. Marshall opened his first funeral home at the IOOF building on Main St. in Wampum. Since then, the business has been run entirely by his descendants.
In the funeral home’s early days, directors typically made house calls, with funerals being held at home. In fact, Marshall Funeral Home was initially a combination funeral service and furniture store. In 1907, the growing business moved to the current American Legion building in Wampum. David M. Marshall eventually passed the business on to his son, Harold W. Marshall, who got his start as a stable boy and hearse driver. In 1913, Harold W. received his state funeral director’s license. He also worked part-time as a salesman for the Medusa Cement Co.
As times changed and with the popularity of motorized vehicles, more services shifted to the funeral home. Foreseeing the change, which would eventually bring all the funeral events to the be held at the funeral home, Harold W. Marshall purchased a building in 1936 at the current location on Main St. in Wampum and added a large addition to house a chapel and family rooms.
Harold W. Marshall ran the funeral home until his death in 1966. Even before Harold W. Marshall’s death, his son, Harold J. Marshall Sr. assisted in running the funeral home. Five years after taking over as president of the business, Harold Sr. embarked on the most ambitious move of the funeral home’s existence. In 1971, Harold J. Marshall Sr. purchased the former Porter’s Funeral Home on Fountain Ave. in Ellwood City. After extensive remodeling at the location, Marshall Funeral Home Inc. opened at its current location.
Harold J. Marshall Sr. died in 1985; he was remembered for his active role within his trade and in the community. Following his untimely death, ownership of the two funeral homes passed on to the fourth general of Marshall’s, Robert S. and Harold J. Jr. The two brothers have carried on the tradition of providing professional, personal service to this day. They made renovation to the Ellwood City location in 1990 and to the Wampum facility in 2000.
Currently, Robert S. Marshall Jr. is serving his apprenticeship.
Completing the employees are Noreen Marshall Johns, the secretary treasurer since 1985. Don Melfi, who retired in 1998 from Riverside Beaver County School District, has become a full time employee. Melfi has worked with three generations of Marshall’s having worked part time from 1960 to 1998.